MARYLEBONE
ALL SAINTS, MARGARET STREET

Photo DrL 24th Jan 2006
2 bells (formerly 3)
Tenor: 9 cwt approx. in B flat
Frames: 1858 John Warner & Sons
(Oak frame for 5 bells)
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned
Chime with lever clappers
Formerly ring of 3 until 1971, although probably never rung full circle.
Chimed from ground floor
Grid Ref: TQ292814

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

6 cwt approx. 3015/16" E flat

1858

John Warner & Sons

2

9 cwt approx. 3615/16" B flat 1855 John Warner & Sons

INSCRIPTIONS

1. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1858.
warner_royal_arms.jpg (5708 bytes)
PATENT
2. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1858
warner_royal_arms.jpg (5708 bytes)
PATENT

FORMER TENOR

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Cast

Note

Founder Fate

3

28-0-17

537/8"

1858

E flat

John Warner & Sons Broken up 1971
3. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1858.
warner_royal_arms.jpg (5708 bytes)
PATENT

HISTORY

1789 St Margaret's chapel was built.
1849-59 Present church built, William Butterfield architect. This was the successor to the chapel.
1858 3 bells cast and hung in a new frame for 5 bells in the tower by John Warner and Sons. Of these bells, Lord Grimthorpe (to whose specification they were cast) said, "Bells sound better in a large chamber than a small one. Anyone who has heard the Doncaster bells will hardly believe that the three bells of Al Saints, Margaret Street, are repetitions by the same founder of the 1st, 4th and tenor of Doncaster. But Doncaster bell chamber is 23 ft square, and Margaret Street not more than 14, or just two fifths of the area."  The frame was a lowside oak frame (the missing bells being apparently D and G, muscailly the 2nd and 6th giving 1,2,4,6,8.
1895

22nd Sept

Church reopened after restoration.
1958 Mears & Stainbank inspected and recommended part rehanging with new ironwork and chiming hammers, either electrically or manually operated.
1965 Mears & Stainbank recommended recasting the three bells into a chime of eight, tenor 6 cwt in C.
1966 Bells inspected by David Cawley. He reported that none of the bells appeared ever to have been rung full circle probably due to fears for the security of this tall slender brick tower with a spire 200 feet high. Only the treble had any appreciable soundow wear. This bell had angular canons and had a cast-in corwn staple; the two larger had Lord Grimthorpe's Doncaster head with independent staples.     
1971 Tenor broken up in the tower by Mears & Stainbank, who rehung the other two "dead" with lever-clappers.