PIMLICO
ST GABRIEL, WARWICK SQUARE

Photo Dickon Love 15th Oct 2011

A ring of 8 bells
Tenor: 15-3-10 in F
Frame: 1855 Charles & George Mears
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned
Rung from upstairs ringing room
Tower Stages:
1. Ground floor
2. Ringing room
3. Intermediate chamber
4. Belfry open to spire
Access - spiral staircase in west corner (church is not cardinally aligned)
Grid Ref: TQ291784
Peals

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

5-0-1 29" F

1855

Charles & George Mears

2

5-1-8 30" E 1855 Charles & George Mears

3

6-1-17 32" D 1855 Charles & George Mears

4

6-3-2 34" C 1855 Charles & George Mears

5

7-2-13 36" B flat 1855 Charles & George Mears

6

8-3-8 38" A 1855 Charles & George Mears

7

11-0-17 41" G 1855 Charles & George Mears

8

15-3-10 46" F 1855 Charles & George Mears
The inscriptions are taken from J.R.Jerram's reading in 1902 (where he doesn't give the layout), so these are all subject to verification.
1. + GLORY TO THE FATHER HIGH + THIS PEAL OF EIGHT BELLS  +   THE FIRST IN HONOUR OF ST GEORGE +  C. & G. MEARS, LONDON.
2. + TO THE SON'S DREAD MAJESTY + THE SECOND IN HONOUR OF ST MICHAEL. C. & G. MEARS, LONDON.
3. + TO THE SPIRIT, ONE AND THREE + THE THIRD IN HONOUR OF ST BARNABAS. C. & G. MEARS, LONDON.
4. + BLESSING, HONOUR, GLORY BE + THE FOURTH IN HONOUR OF ST PAUL. C & G. MEARS, LONDON.
5. + EVER AS ERE THE WORLD BEGAN + THE FIFTH IN HONOUR OF ST PETER.  C & G. MEARS, LONDON.
6. + EVEN NOW WHILE AGES RUN + THE SIXTH IN HONOUR OF ALL SAINTS. C. & G. MEARS, LONDON.
7. + EVEN AS SHALL BE EVERMORE + THE SEVENTH IN HONOUR OF THE B. VIRGIN MARY. C. & G. MEARS, LONDON.
8. + WHEN THE WORLD OF CHANGE IS OER + THE EIGHTH IN HONOUR OF ST GABRIEL
+ WAS PRESENTED TO THIS CHURCH
IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1855
+ BEING THE SECOND YEAR OF THE FIRST INCUMBENT, BRYAN BELCHER.
C. & G. MEARS, LONDON.

EARLIER BELL

Bell

Weight

Cast

Founder Fate

Single bell

6-0-9

1853

Charles & George Mears Traded in 1855

HISTORY

1853 A bell was supplied for the new church by Charles and George Mears. The foundry records show that it cost 51.1s.6d, that the clapper, stock, wheel, ironwork and brasses came to 6.10s and the frame, fixing and hanging cost 13.10s.
1854 Church finished.
1855 The new church was equipped with a ring of 8 bells in a new frame by Charles and George Mears. The old bell was bought in part exchange. The fittings of the old bell were reused on one of the new bells.
1888 Church restored at a cost of 3,200.
1901 Fittings repaired by Mears & Stainbank.
1967 There was an unadvertised peal attempt (lost after 4,500 changes). The local band continued to ring for a little while after this before ringing then stopped.
1978 Ringing resumed on the first Sunday of each month.
mid-1980s The bells were left silent.
2002 Some remedial action in the belfry and goodwill in the church allowed the bells to be rung again, and regular ringing continued.

GALLERY

The ring of 8.
   
  The tower is effectively detached.