WESTMINSTER
ST JAMES, PICCADILLY

A service bell and
a clock chime of 3 bells
Tenor: 22 cwt approx. in E flat (316Hz)
Frame: ?
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned
Grid Ref: TQ294804

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

1-1-14 11"  

1967

Mears & Stainbank

2

2-2-24 22" 1967 Mears & Stainbank

3

5 cwt approx. 27"

1967

Mears & Stainbank

S

22 cwt approx. 49" E flat

1686

William & Philip Wightman

INSCRIPTIONS

tba

EARLIER BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Cast

Founder Fate

1

1 cwt approx.

17⅛"

1815

Thomas Mears II ?Scrapped 1967

2

2 cwt approx. 20" 1815 Thomas Mears II ?Scrapped 1967

3

3 cwt approx. 23"

1749

Robert Catlin ?Scrapped 1967

HISTORY

1686 Service bell cast by William & Philip Wightman.
1749 An hour bell was cast by Robert Catlin.  This bell was also used for services.
1815 Two quarter chime bells supplied through Thwaites, cast by Thomas Mears.  The Whitechapel Daybook refers to "2 new bells for the quarters of the clock particularly to suit the hour bell & strike louder than bells of that size generally do being thicker & of a different shape ...".  These bells were hung dead above the clock without clappers and had a combined weight of 3-0-17.
1884 Church reopened on 18th October after restoration, at a cost of 3,500.
1960 The "Survey of London XXIX" noted that the Wightman bell was standing in the churchyard.
1969 New clock bells were supplied by Mears & Stainbank.  The hour bell was a stock bell and never weighed.