PADDINGTON
ST JAMES, SUSSEX GARDENS

A ring of 2 bells plus swing chime bourdon
Tenor: 12-3-4
Bourdon: 30-2-21
Frames:
1846 Charles and George Mears oak frame
1887 John Taylor deal frame
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned
Grid Ref:

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

4-3-6 29"

1846

Charles & George Mears

2

12-3-4 43" 1846 Charles & George Mears

Bourdon

30-2-21 55" 1887 John Taylor & Co

INSCRIPTIONS

1. (tba)
2. (tba)
B. WALTER ABBOTT. VICAR. J. WILLIAMS. W.H. MILLS. CHURCHWARDENS.
JUBILATE DEO.
THE GIFT OF JOSEPH MAYNARD
IN THE JUBILEE YEAR OF THE REIGN OF
QUEEN VICTORIA.
1887

The inscription on the tenor is from the Taylor records, and so probably omits the fact that
there is a foundry stamp present on the bell.

EARLIER BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Cast

Founder Fate

Smaller bell

1-2-11

19"

1846

Charles & George Mears Replaced 1846

Larger bell

4-0-25 1842 Thomas Mears II Replaced 1846

HISTORY

1841-3 Church built (Commissioners church, 2nd Parliamentary Grant), Goldicutt and Gutch architects, at a cost of 11,500.
1842 Church supplied with a bell by Thomas Mears II. Foundry records note the provision of a new bell, clapper, stock, wheel and hanging etc. costing 35.11s.3d.
1845 Charles and George Mears supplied another, smaller bell to the church. Foundry records note the provision of a 19" bell for 10.9s.2d., with clapper, stock, ironwork, crane neck brasses and fixing costing a further 6.5s.
1846 These bells were replaced with two bells by Charles & George Mears, hung in a new oak frame for ringing. Foundry records note the provision of the two bells for 199.0s.5d with clappers, stocks, wheels, ironwork, brasses, oak frame, fixing and hanging for a further 34.10s.
1882 11th Feb Foundation stone of a new church was laid. It cost 17,000.
1882 22nd Dec New church was consecrated. The bells were obviously rehung in the new tower.
1887 A large bourdon bell was cast and hung for swing chiming in a new frame, by John Taylor, just in time for Christmas.