PIMLICO
ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, WILTON RD

From FE Robinson "Among the Bells"  

Formerly a ring of 8, destroyed c.1940
Tenor: 9-3-17
Frame: 1878 John Warner & Sons
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned
Grid Ref: TQ290788
Peals (24 were rung on the bells)

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Cast

Founder

1

4 cwt approx. 25"

1878

John Warner & Sons

2

4 cwt approx. 26" 1878 John Warner & Sons

3

5 cwt approx. 28" 1878 John Warner & Sons

4

6 cwt approx. 30" 1878 John Warner & Sons

5

6 cwt approx. 32" 1878 John Warner & Sons

6

7 cwt approx. 34" 1878 John Warner & Sons

7

9 cwt approx. 36" 1878 John Warner & Sons

8

9-3-17 38" 1878 John Warner & Sons
The weights come from "Among the Bells" by F. E. Robinson, apart from the tenor which was reported in the Ringing World.  Inscriptions are unknown.

HISTORY

1874 Church built as a chapel of ease to St Peter, Eaton Square.
1878 A ring of 8 bells was supplied by John Warner and Sons.  They were "opened" at the dedication service on 2nd October by members of the Ancient Society of College Youths.
c.1940   The church was destroyed in the War and the remains pulled down a few years later.  The bells are assumed to have been destroyed.  The church was located on the west side of Wilton Road between Hudson's Place and Gillingham Street. The building now on the site now is number 129 Wilton Road.
     

GALLERY

The interior. The programme for the dedication of the bells (from the ASCY Library).