PIMLICO
ST SAVIOUR, ST GEORGE'S SQUARE

Photo Dickon Love 15th Oct 2011

A ring of 8 bells plus a service bell, a clock bell (and a dumb bell)
Tenor: 7-1-20 in G
Bells transferred from St Mary's, Peterborough (back 6) and Gosport (front 2).
Frames: 1992 Whitechapel
Retuning: 1990 (back 8) 1992 (front 2) Whitechapel
Rung from upstairs ringing room
Tower Stages:
1. Ground floor
2. "Jim Prior Room" (formerly training room, now mostly occupied by telecommunications equipment)
3. Ringing Room
4. Clock chamber
5. Belfry with 8 bells
6. Open spire with 2 bells hung dead and telecommunication equipment. 
Access: straight staircase on north side as far as ringing room, spiral staircase in north west corner up the rest of the tower.
Grid Ref: TQ295783
Peals

Bell

Weight
(prior to retuning)

Weight
(after retuning
in 1990/2)

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

3-3-12 3-2-2 243/16" G

1890

Mears & Stainbank

2

4-0-6 3-2-7 24" F sharp 1890 Mears & Stainbank

3

3-2-7 26" E

1887

John Warner & Sons

4

3-2-23 27⅜" D 1887 John Warner & Sons

5

4-0-3 28⅞" C

1887

John Warner & Sons

6

5-0-4 30⅝" B 1887 John Warner & Sons

7

5-2-15 33⅛" A

1887

John Warner & Sons

8

7-1-20 36⅜" G 1887 John Warner & Sons

Sanctus

23" F sharp 1864 John Warner & Sons

Clock

31⅛" C sharp 1895 John Warner & Sons

The former treble weights were taken from the Whitechapel settings book.

1. MEARS & STAINBANK WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY. LONDON
CUJUS POST OBITUM, DUAS HASCE ADDIDIT
A. F. NICHOLS, FRATER SUPERSTES PIETATIS
ERGA ECCLESIAM EXEMPLUM SECUTUS
A. D. MDCCCXC.
2. MEARS & STAINBANK WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY. LONDON
CUJUS POST OBITUM, DUAS HASCE ADDIDIT
A. F. NICHOLS, FRATER SUPERSTES PIETATIS
ERGA ECCLESIAM EXEMPLUM SECUTUS
A. D. MDCCCXC.
3. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1887.
A.D. 1887
PRESENTED BY
THE
PETERBOROUGH CATHEDRAL CLERGY.
PRAISE GOD IN HIS SANCTUARY.
4. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1887.
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.
PRESENTED BY MEMBERS OF
THE
CITY CORPORATION 1887
BEING THE
JUBILEE YEAR
OF
H.M. QUEEN VICTORIA.
5. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1887.
PRESENTED BY H. P. GATES ESQR  J. P.
MAYOR OF PETERBOROUGH 1887.
PRAISE THE LORD O MY SOUL
AND
FORGET NOT ALL HIS BENEFIT.
6. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1887.
GEORGE CHARLES WENTWORTH FITZWILLIAM
OF
MILTON.  JANY A. D. 1887.
7. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1887.
RAISED BY THE EFFORTS OF
THE
CHOIR OF THIS CHURCH 1887.
WE PRAISE THEE O GOD.
8. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1887.

PARISHIONERS JUBILEE GIFT 1887.

W. R. THOMAS  M.A. __ VICAR
  D. H. STOTT
W. SOUTHWELL
} CHURCHWARDENS

GOD BLESS THE CHURCH & PARISH OF S. MARY.

S. J WARNER & SONS LONDON  1864.

PATENT
C. JOHN WARNER & SONS LTD LONDON 1895.
 

There are two dots beneath the raised R of ESQR on the 5th.

HISTORY

1864 Church built and bell cast and hung in the tower by John Warner & Sons.
1885 A clock bell was added to the tower by John Warner & Sons.
1887 A ring of 6 bells was cast by John Warner & Sons for St Mary's, Peterborough.
1890 Two bells were cast for Gosport church.
1990 The bells from Peterborough were removed from their church. It was rebuilt and equipped with 8 new bells. The old 6 were taken to Whitechapel Bell Foundry and tuned, pending transfer to St Saviour's.
1992 The Peterborough and Gosport bells were hung in a new frame. A new facility for training ringers was set up and dedicated to James G A Prior, a past Master and Secretary of the Ancient Society of College Youths. The centre was opened on Easter Monday.

GALLERY

The ring of 8.
   
  The two original bells hung dead in the room above the belfry.