PADDINGTON
ST SAVIOUR, WARWICK AVENUE (Old church)

Postcard DLC collection

 
Formerly ring of 2 bells
Tenor: 6-1-20
Frame: 1875 Thwaites and Reed
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned
Church demolished 1972.
One bell transferred to the New Church
Grid Ref:

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Cast

Founder Fate

1

4-2-20

1876

Mears & Stainbank Broken up 1972

2

6-1-20 31"

1876

Mears & Stainbank Transferred to new church
The treble weight is as invoiced out from Whitechapel and as received by Whitechapel in 1972.
The tenor weight is as invoiced out from Whitechapel. Thwaites record this as 7-2-20 in their archives (see below).

INSCRIPTIONS

1. MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON, 1876
2. MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON, 1876

FORMER BELL

Bell

Weight

Cast

Founder Fate

Single bell

2-3-8

1856

Charles & George Mears Replaced 1876

HISTORY

1855-6 Church built (Commissioners church, 2nd Parliamentary Grant), Thomas Little, architect, at a cost of 12,140.
1856 A bell was cast and hung dead in the tower in a new frame by Charles and George Mears. It would appear that the frame was for 2 bells constructed to allow them to be hung for ringing. The bell, deadstock, clapper, frame and fixing came to 32.
1876 The small bell was replaced by two new bells, cast by Mears & Stainbank and provided by Thwaites & Reed together with an 8 day turret clock. The bells were hung for ringing in the oak frame. They were invoiced out separately as follows. The larger bell went to Kenneth Horace James of Warrington Crescent. The bell cost 54, the stock, wheel, clapper, brasses, rope, etc came to 7.10s.0d while the hanging cost 3.10s. The smaller bell was invoiced out to Thwaites and Reed. The bell cost 64.10s which the frame, hanging, clapper, stock, wheel, rope etc. came to 84.10s. The larger bell appears to have been sold cheaper than the smaller bell: this might have taken into account the part exchange of the original bell.
Thwaites & Reed (clockmakers) archives 24 April 1876. St.Saviour, Paddington. 8 day turret clock and bell of 7-2-20 (sic)
(Note that the larger bell appears to have been sold cheaper than the smaller bell. This might have taken into account the part exchange of the original bell.)
1883 8th Jun Foundation stone for new chancel laid.
1884 23rd Feb New chancel dedicated.
1894 23rd Sept Church reopened after extensive internal renovation, costing 1,000.
1972 Church demolished for replacement with new church. The smaller bell was broken in an attempt to steal it.
1973-6 New church built, Biscoe and Stanton architects, with a fibreglass spire.
1976 The remaining bell was rehung for electric chiming in the new spire.