The Church Bells of the City of London

ST STEPHEN, WESTBOURNE PARK

Photo John Adams 2005

1 ringing bell
Weight: 8 cwt approx.
Hung for ringing in its own timber frame (derelict)

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Single Bell

8 cwt approx. 38" G

1871

John Warner & Sons
1. CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS 1871

HISTORY

1855-6   Church built , F & H Francis Architects (Commissioners Church, 2nd Parliamentary Grant).  It cost 10,200 and was built with a tower and spire.  The spire was removed shortly after the War following damage.
1856 21st April Church consecrated.
1871   Bell cast and hung for ringing in its own frame by John Warner & Sons.
1882   A clock was supplied by Benson, striking the hours on the bell.
2005   John Adams visited the church and noted that "fittings are complete apart from the slider and most of the shrouding, only a few inches either side of the garter hole left".

GALLERY

A view of the ringing bell.  All photos John Adams 2005.
 
View in 2007 View in 1856 when it was consecrated.