Bells of the City of Westminster


 
St Saviour
 

Pimlico, St Saviour, St George's Square


Photo: Dickon R Love, 15 Oct 2011

  • 8 bells hung for full circle ringing plus clock and service bells
  • Tenor: 7-1-20 in G.
  • Grid Ref: TQ295783
  • Bells transferred from St Mary's,Peterborough (back 6) and Gosport (front 2).
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: 1992 Whitechapel Bell Foundry
  • Building Listed Grade: II. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)*
Weight
(Prior to retuning 1992)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
® 1 3-2-23-3-1224³⁄₁₆" G 1890 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel1992 Whitechapel
® 2 3-2-74-0-624¾" F♯ 1890 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel1992 Whitechapel
® 3 3-2-726¼" E 1887 John Warner & Sons1990 Whitechapel
® 4 3-2-2337⅜" D 1887 John Warner & Sons1990 Whitechapel
® 5 4-0-328⅞" C 1887 John Warner & Sons1990 Whitechapel
® 6 5-0-430⅝" B 1887 John Warner & Sons1990 Whitechapel
® 7 5-2-1533⅛" A 1887 John Warner & Sons1990 Whitechapel
® 8 7-1-2036⅜" G 1887 John Warner & Sons1990 Whitechapel
Sanctus 23¾" F♯ 1864 John Warner & SonsNever
Clock 31⅛" C♯ 1895 John Warner & SonsNever

* Source of weight figures: WBF records
®  - Hung for full circle ringing
 - Hung dead

History

1864 The church was built and a bell was cast and hung in the tower by John Warner & Sons.
1885 A clock bell was added to the tower by John Warner & Sons.
1887 A ring of 6 bells was cast by John Warner & Sons for St Mary's, Peterborough.
1890 Two bells were cast for Gosport church.
1990 The bells from Peterborough were removed from their church. It was rebuilt and equipped with 8 new bells. The old 6 were taken to Whitechapel Bell Foundry and tuned, pending transfer to St Saviour's.
1992 The Peterborough and Gosport bells were hung in a new frame. A new facility for training ringers was set up and dedicated to James G A Prior, a past Master and Secretary of the Ancient Society of College Youths. The centre was opened on Easter Monday.

Articles

  • "Opening of St Saviour's, Pimlico", RJC (The Ringing World) 1 May 1992
  • Lower belfry


    The ring of 8.
    Photo: Dickon R Love, Oct 2011


    Photo: Dickon R Love, Oct 2011


    Photo: Dickon R Love, Oct 2011

    Upper belfry


    The two original bells hung dead in the room above the belfry.
    Photo: Dickon R Love, Oct 2011


    Love's Guide to the Bells of the City of Westminster Page updated: 15 April 2022