Bells of the City of Westminster


 
St Barnabas
 

Pimlico, St Barnabas, St Barnabas Road


Photo: Ash Wednesday, 2010

  • 10 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 19-3-7 in E♭.
  • Grid Ref: TQ284784
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: 1849 Charles & GeorgeMears
  • Building Listed Grade: I. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)*
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
® 1 4-1-326" G 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
® 2 4-3-2328" F 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
® 3 5-2-129" E♭ 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
® 4 5-3-2031" D 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
® 5 7-1-1033" C 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
® 6 7-1-1634" B♭ 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
® 7 9-1-2337" A♭ 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
® 8 10-0-2139" G 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
® 9 13-3-643" F 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
® 10 19-3-749" E♭ 1849 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever

* Source of weight figures: WBF records
®  - Hung for full circle ringing

History

1846 Building work commenced on the church, designed by Thomas Cundy and William Butterworth. It was completed in 1850.
1847 A bell was cast by Charles and George Mears, placed over the gateway to the school adjacent to the church. It is currently stored within the school.
1849 A ring of 10 bells was cast by Charles and George Mears and hung in a new frame in the tower. The tenor was given by Sir F.A.G. Ouseley. The treble was given a latchet stay.
1888 "Bell News" described the bells as being "recently rehung".
1965 Following ringing on 11 June, all ringing was barred by the incumbent.
2006 The spire was taken down and rebuilt.
2008 The bearings were cleaned and new wheels were made for the bells by Paul Huckstep. These were an ingeniuous design as they could be taken apart to curry the pieces up the stairs for reassembly in the belfry.
2009 The bells were tried out together on 13 December - their first ringing since 1965.

Photos from before the 2009 restoration


The ringing room. This ladder was the means of getting into the intermediate chamber.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005

Disused Ellacombe apparatus rack.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005

The ringing room.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005

The clock mechanism.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005

One of the bells. Note the latchet stay.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005

Derelict clock weights.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005

In the intermediate chamber.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005

Intermediate chamber.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005

Intermediate chamber.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005

The belfry with derelict wheels.
Photo: Alan Taylor, 2005


Photo: Dickon R Love, 9 Jul 2016

After the restoration



Photo: Dickon R Love, 9 Jul 2016


Love's Guide to the Bells of the City of Westminster Page updated: 15 April 2022