Bells of the City of Westminster


 
St Stephen
 

Westbourne Green, St Stephen, Westbourne Park Road


Photo: John P Adams, 2005

  • Single bell hung for full circle ringing but derelict
  • Tenor: 9 cwt approx. in G.
  • Grid Ref: TQ254814
  • Frame: Timber, dating from 1871
  • Building Listed Grade: II. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)*
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
® 1 9 cwt approx.38" A 1871 John Warner & SonsNever

* Source of weight figures: Estimate
®  - Hung for full circle ringing

How the bells are tuned

History

1855 The church was built , F & H Francis Architects (Commissioners Church, 2nd Parliamentary Grant). It cost £10,200 and was built with a tower and spire, completed the following year. It was consecrated on 21 Apr. The spire was removed shortly after the War following damage.
1871 A bell was cast and hung for ringing in its own frame by John Warner & Sons.
1882 A clock was supplied by Benson, striking the hours on the bell.
2005 John Adams visited the church and noted that "fittings are complete apart from the slider and most of the shrouding, only a few inches either side of the garter hole left".

Images of the church


The church in 1856 when it was consecrated.
Photo:

More recent picture.
Photo: 2007

The belfry


The ringing bell.
Photo: John P Adams, 20 May 2005


Photo: John P Adams, 20 May 2005


Photo: John P Adams, 20 May 2005


Love's Guide to the Bells of the City of Westminster Page updated: 15 April 2022