Bells of the City of Westminster


 
St Gabriel's Primary School
 

Pimlico, St Gabriel's Primary School, Churchill Gardens Road


Photo: School website

  • Single bell hung for swing chiming in open gable
  • Grid Ref: TQ291779

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
҂ Single 1862 George Mears & Co, WhitechapelNever

҂  - Hung for swing chiming

History

1853 St Gabriel's Church, Warwick Square was consecrated and began to run classes ‘in a miserable hired room’ soon afterwards.
1861 A public meeting held in 1861 decided that ‘the rapid increase in the number of the poorer classes in this district renders it a matter of urgent necessity to provide means for the education of the children’.
1862 The Church opened a school on Distillery Lane, later called Glasgow Terrace, under the lee of Octavius Smith’s establishment. It was equipped with a bell hanging for swing chiming from an open gable.
2019 The bells was restored back to working order in the summer, ready for the new term in September.

Gallery


The school bell photographed when it was rehung in 2019.
Photo: School Twitter Account, 2019


Love's Guide to the Bells of the City of Westminster Page updated: 18 September 2022